With custom designed optics, the Cairn TwinCam offers superior image quality on large sCMOS size camera sensors. The TwinCam, dual emission image splitter, allows light to be distributed into two unrestricted images on the basis of wavelength, polarisation state or focal depth.
A single, rapidly interchangeable Cairn cube has fine mechanical x-y adjustment for pixel overlay or deliberate image offset. The TwinCam input also has a variable rectangular aperture enabling the use of cropped sensor mode on both detectors.
The TwinCam uses our own proprietary lens design to support sensors up to 31.9mm diagonal. The instruments have a correspondingly larger aperture and better correction to give enhanced performance with all sensors.
Device drivers are included in most commercial imaging packages to assist registration and to allow real-time and off-line fluorescence overlays from two cameras. The simple and accessible design makes the TwinCam an excellent platform for alternative applications, such as dual polarisation imaging or simultaneous high speed and high resolution imaging by making use of differently optimised cameras.
• Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET)
• Ratiometric calcium, voltage & pH imaging
• Simultaneous multi fluorescent probe imaging
• Polarisation studies (anisotropy)
• Simultaneous phase contrast / DIC and fluorescence
• Simultaneous multi Z depth imaging
• Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence (TIRF)
• Spinning disk confocal
• Single Plane Illumination Microscopy (SPIM)
• 3D super resolution PALM/STORM (using cylindrical lenses)
• Simultaneous high speed and high resolution
Features and Benefits
• Compact design with integral C-mount input and output ports as standard (F and T mount on request)
• Support for sensors up to 31.9mm diagonal
• Utilises the full camera resolution
• 425nm to 875nm AR coatings on all optical surfaces
• 40mm diameter proprietary optics
• Simple & precise controls for image registration
• Magnetic cube mount for enhanced registration
• Interchangeable filter / dichroic holders
• Emission filter dimensions – 25mm diameter
• Recommended dichroic dimensions – 26x38x2mm (lambda/2 flatness)
• Angled and flat auxiliary drop-in holders for 25mm ND filters and chromatic correction lenses (1 inch on request)
• 1x 1.3x and 1.7x magnification available
• Optional polarisation splitting kit including beamsplitter cube and rotatable polariser
• Fixed or variable centre fully adjustable rectangular mask to delimit region of interest
• Improved camera clamps for enhanced rigidity
β-Adrenergic Receptor Stimulation and Alternans in the Border Zone of a Healed Infarct: An ex vivo Study and Computational Investigation of Arrhythmogenesis – Read here
Asymmetric Tug-of-War leads to Cooperative Transport of a Cargo by Multiple Kinesins – Read here
Expression of the amyloid-β peptide in a single pair of C. elegans sensory neurons modulates the associated behavioural response – Read here
Measuring the activation energy barrier for the nucleation of single nanosized vapor bubbles – Read here
Shared behavioral mechanisms underlie C. elegans aggregation and swarming – Read here
Simultaneous mesoscopic Ca2+ imaging and fMRI: Neuroimaging spanning spatiotemporal scales – Read here
MALT1 mediates IL-17 Neural Signaling to regulate C. elegans behavior, immunity and longevity – Read here
Characterizing transcriptional and morphological consequences of long-term activity in a tonic C. elegans sensory neuron – Read here
dual-colour single-molecule tracking video
An example of a nice video of dual-colour single-molecule tracking of Tau-mEos2 and recycling vesicles (VAMP2-pHluorin labelled anti-GFP nanobodies tagged with Atto-647 (Synaptic Systems)) can be found as the Supplementary Movie S3 of the paper.
“The TwinCam LS Image Splitter from Cairn Research has been instrumental in performing single- and double-colour super-resolution imaging in the Longfield et al. 2023 Nature Communications paper. Our experiments required mounting two Evolve512 delta EMCCD cameras (Photometrics, AZ, USA) on a TwinCam LS Image Splitter (Cairn Research, UK).”
Cairn Research is an independent scientific instruments manufacturer based in Kent, England. We design and build an extensive range of equipment for optical and electrophysiological measurements. In addition to supplying our standard product range to a worldwide customer base we have extensive experience in providing integrated solutions for demanding experimental needs.
You can adjust all of your cookie settings by navigating the tabs on the left-hand side.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary cookies enable core functionality and allows us to save your cookie preferences. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.