For the purposes of this policy the following terminology applies;
‘We’,’ Us’, ‘Our’ refers to the Organisation, Cairn Research Ltd
‘You’, ‘Yourself’ refers to the individual.
Please read the following notice carefully so that you fully understand how your personal data will be treated if you chose to give it to us. This privacy notice is to ensure complete transparency, in line with the new General Data Protection Regulation, with regard to how we may collect personal information about you and where this information may have come from and how we may use it.
This privacy notice sets out how Cairn Research Ltd uses and protects any information that you give to us when you use our website or contact us for any other business reasons.
Cairn Research Ltd is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected and should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified then you can rest assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
If you would like to receive emails regarding products/services/offers and competitions then you will need to let us know via our Consent Form which can be found here.
Cairn Research Ltd may change this notice from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page frequently to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
The type of information that we may collect:
Each time an individual comes to our website we may automatically collect certain information about your visit and the use of our website. This information is not personally identifiable and may include:
- Information you have given to us. Information we collect about you may be given to us by you filling in forms on our site such as quote requests, subscribing to our marketing database, when you search for products on our site, social media platforms, competition entries or surveys including when you report a problem with our site.
- Such information may include your name, business name, address, email address and phone number. We do not store any credit card details, nor do we share your information with any third parties.
- Information that we collect about you include the following:
technical information, Internet protocol (IP) address that connects your computer to the internet, login information, browser version and type, time-zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information collected about your visit to our site include, the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clicks to, through and from our site, including date and time; pages viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs, and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our offices.
Information that you give to us:
We may also collect other types of information such as:
- Correspondence information given to us when you fill in a form on our website, contact us by email or through social media. This information is used to correspond with you and to allow us to keep records.
- Enquiry information given to us when you contact us for more information about a product or service that we offer. This information is used to allow us to answer your questions.
- Transactional information such as bank account details, invoices, purchase orders. This information is used only for the purpose of either supplying or receiving and the administration and record keeping of such transactions.
This information may be collected when you :
- Fill in forms on our site such as quote requests, subscribing to our marketing database, when you search for products on our site, social media platforms, competition entries or surveys including when you report a problem with our site, make general product enquiries, and when you buy one of our products or services.
Such information may include your:
- Name, business name, address, email address and phone number.
We only process correspondence information for the purposes of record keeping and communicating with you. Please rest assured that we do not sell your information to third parties for marketing purposes however we may pass your information onto third parties in certain circumstances and further details can be found below in the paragraph entitled ‘Disclosing your information to a third party’.
What we do with the information we collect
We require the information we collect in order to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping, quote requests, order fulfilment, product support questions/issues, to improve our products and services, and to improve your uesr experience on the website.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided (you will need to ‘opt-in’ in via our website Consent Form in order for us to do this).
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes (you will need to ‘opt-in’ in via our website Consent Form in order for us to do this). We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
Disclosing your information to a third party:
Cairn Research will not disclose your information to a third party unless:
- We are required to do so for legal, statutory or regulatory reasons.
- We are required to do so for accounting or taxation requirements.
- To ensure protection and or prevention against fraud and to ensure credit risk management.
- To protect the rights, property, and safety of Cairn Research and its staff, customers, distributors, and suppliers.
- We are required to do so in order to provide you with the goods or services that you have asked for or to receive a payment.
|Who may we share your information with||What information we may share||Why we share this information|
|Banks and payment service providers.||Your name, account details and your address.||We need to share this information so that we can process payments for goods and services bought from ourselves but we do not store any bank, debit or credit card information afterwards.
|Couriers, delivery providers||Your name, address and telephone number.||Couriers, delivery providers Your name, address and telephone number We share this information so that we can ship your order to you and so that the delivery company can contact you if there is a problem.
|Suppliers.||Your name and address.||We share this information when goods that you have requested/ordered are sent directly from a supplier.|
In this event, Cairn Research will ensure that these third parties are up to date with data protection laws and have their own policies relating to the protection of any data that they receive or collect.
Disclosure of information to another Company/Organisation with an individual’s best interests, where the statutory exemptions don’t apply, will only be made in exceptional circumstances and where disclosure is believed to be justified.
The intention to share data relating to individuals to a Company/Organisation outside of our Company shall be clearly defined within notifications and details of the basis for sharing given.
Any proposed change to the processing of information shall be notified to the appropriate individual prior to the change.
How to control your personal information and your rights:
You may have the right to:
- Be informed about the collection and use of your personal data and the retention time for such data, ask for access to your personal data, confirmation that it is being processed and any other supplementary information, ask for personal data to be corrected or updated, ask to be forgotten, ie to request the removal or deletion of your personal data if there isn’t a sufficient reason for us to retain it. You may have the right to refuse or restrict the collection of your personal information or how we use your personal information.
- Obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes and to move, copy or transfer personal data from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way without its usability being affected. It will be supplied in a common data format such as an Excel or CSV file.
- Object processing based on legitimate interest, processing for the performance of a task in the public interest and the exercise of official authority vested in us, ask that automatic decision making or profiling without human intervention isn’t made against them. Cairn Research Ltd does not carry out any form of automated decision making or profiling so this is not applicable to us.
Should you choose to exercise any of the above rights, you can do so by writing to or emailing us at the addresses below and we will act upon your request within one month.
If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information, you are entitled to change your mind at any time and may ask to be removed by writing to or emailing us at:
It’s important to understand that some of the above rights may not apply in some instances.
Please see the table below for more details.
|Right to erasure||Right to portability||Right to object|
but right to withdraw consent
More information about your rights may be found on the ICO website.
Updating your information
If the information you have provided us with changes, please let us know as soon as possible and we will correct, update or remove any information that we hold about you. However, we may need to retain archived copies of that information for legal or auditing purposes.
Processing and storage of your data
Cairn Research collects and processes personal data under the lawful bases listed below and has set retention times for all personally identifiable data. Please click here to view our Data Retention Schedule:
- Consent – your information will be used to provide you with the information or services that you have consented too.
- Contractual – your information may be used in order for us to fulfil our contractual obligations (orders etc.) or pre-contractual requests (quote requests etc.).We may also use this basis to process information obtained by correspondence, an enquiry or transaction information.
- Legal obligation – your information will only be used when we are legally obliged to do so.
- Legitimate interests – we may also use this basis to process correspondence information in order to communicate and conduct our business properly, enquiry information so that we can develop our business relationship with those that are interested, transactional information so that we can pay and receive payments properly and to recover debts if need be and any information when required to do so with regard to legal claims as we want to protect your legal rights, the legal rights of others.
All individuals have the right to raise any concerns that they have with regard to the way in which we are handling their data by contacting the Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
Where we store your personal information
Information provided to us by yourself is normally stored on our servers.
By submitting personal information or placing an order, you agree to the transfer, storing and processing of it and we will take all necessary steps to ensure the safety and security of it in accordance with this notice.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure and have put into place a variety of electronic, physical and procediual measures in order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of the information that we collect from you online. In the event of a suspected security breach, we will inform you and also the applicable governung body of the suspected security breach where we are required to do so by law.
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites that may be of interest. However, it’s worth noting that we do not have any control over external websites and therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you may provide whilst visiting them. Such sites are not governed by this privacy notice and we highly recommend that you exercise caution and look at the privacy notice applicable to the website in question prior to entering any personal data.
It’s also worth remembering that information transmitted through the internet is not completely secure and whilst we do our best to protect your data to the best of our ability any information transmitted through our website is done so at your own risk and will not accept liablity for any loss or interception of your data unless it is the result of a failure by ourselves to take reasonable steps to secure it.