Careers with Cairn
Our steady growth means that employment opportunities do arise here from time to time. Although we may advertise these, in general our preferred method is to find suitable people – or for them to find us – and to create suitable positions for them as and when we can. So, if you are interested in joining us at any time in the future, please feel free to get in touch for a general chat in the first instance, and we can take it from there.
Our farm location provides a pleasant and friendly working environment in the Kent countryside and with good road and rail links to the rest of the country. London is just over an hour away by train, but property in this area is still relatively affordable compared with much of the south east, so most of us don’t have to spend too much time commuting. This means a less stressed workforce for everyone, and more leisure time for you, so we can provide a much better quality of life if that sort of thing is important to you – and we certainly hope that it is!
Please email us if you’d like to join the team!
Cairn Research Ltd. is a Scientific Instrument Manufacturer based in Faversham, we are currently recruiting for a Machinist, with proven skills in both manual and CNC machining. We manufacture and design precision equipment for scientific research which will require an applicant who is comfortable working with high tolerances and machining intricate parts. Someone who can work well under pressure, able to prioritise and manage their own workload, yet be flexible enough to handle changes to the schedule or last-minute jobs.
This is a great opportunity to work for a friendly small company, that appreciates its workforce yet respects the requirements to produce high quality work and complete orders in a timely fashion. We are based just outside Faversham, surrounded by farmland, this could be a great placement for the right applicant.
- Manufacturing of components using CNC and manual machinery. Producing small batch runs of company products, as well as prototypes and custom parts.
- Ensuring machine shop consumables are ordered, and stock levels maintained.
- Keeping the machine shop clean and maintaining the machines.
- Liaising with internal departments and external machinists/suppliers.
- Following health and safety legislation.
- Experience with CNC milling & turning machines. Conversational programming knowledge an advantage.
- with the use of a manual Mill and Lathe is required.
- Used to working at high tolerances, and able to produce small parts to a very high standard.
- An understanding of CAD Software, with the ability to read drafts.
- Able to work to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of manufacturing production and processes.
- Have an eye for detail and thoroughness in work.
- Familiar with ISO 9001:2015 procedures, preferred.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
School Farm - Cairn HQ
We are very lucky to be resident at School Farm