Careers with Cairn
Our steady growth means that employment opportunities do arise here from time to time. Although we may advertise these, in general our preferred method is to find suitable people – or for them to find us – and to create suitable positions for them as and when we can. So, if you are interested in joining us at any time in the future, please feel free to get in touch for a general chat in the first instance, and we can take it from there.
Our farm location provides a pleasant and friendly working environment in the Kent countryside and with good road and rail links to the rest of the country. London is just over an hour away by train, but property in this area is still relatively affordable compared with much of the south east, so most of us don’t have to spend too much time commuting. This means a less stressed workforce for everyone, and more leisure time for you, so we can provide a much better quality of life if that sort of thing is important to you – and we certainly hope that it is!
Please email us if you’d like to join the team!
Cairn Research Ltd. is a globally recognised scientific equipment manufacturer based in Faversham, Kent, UK. As an employee-owned company, we pride ourselves on both our independence, and our rural location in 70 acres of beautiful Kent farmland, with excellent transport links nearby.
We design and build an extensive range of state of the art optical and electronic devices for use in fluorescence microscopy and advanced imaging research. Working at the forefront of science, our product range is constantly growing and evolving, and an opportunity has now arisen to expand our Sales and Support team.
We are currently seeking a Sales and Support Specialist to fulfil an office-based role, with occasional travel expected.
Although no strict sales territory will be applicable, our core business requirements are Oxford, London, and Cambridge, so travel to these key sites and attendance at scientific meetings will be required regularly, often overnight, with travel expenses provided.
- Build, develop and maintain long-term relationships with both new and existing customers via a variety of communication methods.
- Ensure all customers and their enquiries are logged in our CRM database, keeping Sales and Support team management regularly updated regarding ongoing opportunities.
- Proactively seek sales opportunities and keep abreast of new applications and technology within our field.
- Discuss technical specifications and requirements, generate quotes, and provide product information in a timely manner to progress enquiries to the point of order.
- Assess released Tenders for suitability to bid, as well as writing and submitting appropriate documentation.
- Manage your own diary and schedule, regularly visiting customer laboratories for sales discussions, installations and hardware and software training.
- Liaise with other Sales staff to assist with on-site requirements.
- Anticipated travel requirements: 1-2 days fortnightly / more sporadic.
Desired skills & experience
- Minimum of Degree level in a Scientific subject
- Extensive experience in a laboratory environment involving Light Microscopy / Super Resolution techniques (highly desirable).
- Previous sales experience also desirable, but not essential providing the core skills required for the role can be demonstrated.
- Similarly, previous technical support experience, an engineering background, or hands on ability to install and troubleshoot equipment will be considered.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to build a rapport with customers and staff.
- Customer Service orientated with the ability to articulate ideas clearly.
Full time, permanent role.
Salary depending upon experience.
For enquiries and applications, please email
Cairn Research Ltd. is a Scientific Instrument Manufacturer based in Faversham, we are currently recruiting for a Machinist, with proven skills in both manual and CNC machining. We manufacture and design precision equipment for scientific research which will require an applicant who is comfortable working with high tolerances and machining intricate parts. Someone who can work well under pressure, able to prioritise and manage their own workload, yet be flexible enough to handle changes to the schedule or last-minute jobs.
This is a great opportunity to work for a friendly small company, that appreciates its workforce yet respects the requirements to produce high quality work and complete orders in a timely fashion. We are based just outside Faversham, surrounded by farmland, this could be a great placement for the right applicant.
- Manufacturing of components using CNC and manual machinery. Producing small batch runs of company products, as well as prototypes and custom parts.
- Ensuring machine shop consumables are ordered, and stock levels maintained.
- Keeping the machine shop clean and maintaining the machines.
- Liaising with internal departments and external machinists/suppliers.
- Following health and safety legislation.
- Experience with CNC milling & turning machines. Conversational programming knowledge an advantage.
- with the use of a manual Mill and Lathe is required.
- Used to working at high tolerances, and able to produce small parts to a very high standard.
- An understanding of CAD Software, with the ability to read drafts.
- Able to work to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of manufacturing production and processes.
- Have an eye for detail and thoroughness in work.
- Familiar with ISO 9001:2015 procedures, preferred.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £24,000.00-£30,000.00 per year
School Farm - Cairn HQ
We are very lucky to be resident at School Farm